Sunday, November 9, 2014

Berlin Wall - 25 years ago today

Do you remember where you were 25 years ago?  I do.  I was a bright-eyed bushy tailed Soldier.  My fellow Soldiers also will tell you they remember that day well.  That was the day the War that we were "fighting" (actually training to fight the russians......waiting....training to fight the russians...waiting....you follow the pattern) "ended".

One of the most "memorable" things one of my fellow Soldiers said to me when he PCS'd to another assignment was my room-mate, John.  On the installation we were stationed at, all the Soldiers were in a common barracks (a very small installation).

My roommate was a MuddyPuppy (MP..that's Military Police for those who don't speak Army). I was, and still am, a Computer Nerd.

When he was leaving he told me that he was so glad that he was PCSing and that he would no longer have to be my roommate.

Now, for most people, that would seem rather mean...but he elaborated that one of his jobs was, in the event the Communist Russians were to overtake our installation, he was to shoot me as soon as possible, Because of the materials that I handled and worked with on a daily basis was so vital, shooting me was to keep anything in my brain from "possibly" falling into the hands of the Russians.

The Cold War was VERY REAL at that time of my life.

That's a sobering reality of the Cold War that we fought against the Russians.

The Communists were our enemy for a REAL REASON.

It's now twenty five years later and that symbol of the end of the Cold War now exists in memory and in museums, and I believe that we may be in the beginnings of another US/USSR (yeah I know...they don't "exist anymore") chess game.

Hundreds and Hundreds and Hundreds of people DIED trying to move from one side of Berlin.  It was FROM the Communist side TO the Capitalist side.  Some people literally were smuggled INSIDE of car seats!

Actually. DIED is not the best word.  THEY WERE SHOT!!!!!!

Let that sink in....THEY.....WERE....SHOT trying to travel from one side of a city to another.

If you say that to a "smart" college kid today, they will look at you like you have three heads!  They cannot fathom the concept of a Government shooting it's own subjects....yes I called them subjects, because that is what they were.....right Comrade?

The Wall literally cut homes, streets, and families in half.  One day, no wall....the next day, a wall separates the east side of the street from the west side of the street....and you would be SHOT for crossing the street!

The next time you hear ANYONE speak positively about Communism/Marxism/etc...they are either LYING to you, or the are completely CLUELESS as to the threat that Communism brings to the World and what life is/was like in a Communist "Community".



.....so easy a caveman could understand it......or a "Community" organizer!